Thursday, August 13, 2009

You Tarzan, Me Surprised

When I was maybe thirteen
my parents began letting me
go to movies alone or with friends.
One Saturday matinee
the only show I was allowed to see
---after Loony Tunes and before the weekly serial---
I stood up to spot some friends.
In the flickering glimmer of a newsreel
or a Roy Rogers and Dale Evans preview
I saw my father
sitting a few seats in front of me
still wearing his baseball cap.
Asonished to see Dad at the movie
I never mentioned spotting him that day.
Perhaps he simply wanted to see
Tarzan of the Apes, Episode 13,
"His Own Kind."

(This poem originally appeared in Literary Magic,
Summer, 2009)

1 comment:

John Kotula said...

Earl, I got to your blog through New Verse News and wanted to leave a general fan letter. I'm putting it here because I love this poem, but several others delighted me as well. Thanks for getting my day and the new year off to a good start.
John Kotula
johnkotulapchn